The World Harp Congress announces an online Focus on Youth event for 2024
The Focus on Youth Committee of the World Harp Congress is initiating an online version of the Focus on Youth program to take place in September 2024.
The goal of the Focus on Youth Concerts is to encourage and recognize gifted young harpists 22 years of age and under, by providing a performance opportunity, followed by comments from a panel of distinguished harpists. All harpists chosen to perform must be members of the World Harp Congress.
Selected videos will be available for anyone to view on line. Certificates will be given to the selected candidates. Approximately 25 applicants will be accepted.
Selected candidates may be invited to perform at the WHC 2026 in Toronto.
Application submission requirements:
- Proof of World Harp Congress membership: Harpists must be WHC members at the time of submission (WHC membership information and application)
- A video recording not exceeding 20 minutes of solo harp music that also includes a spoken introduction of yourself, your program, why you chose the harp as your musical instrument, and what your goals are for the future (in English).
- Video requirements: high quality, horizontal format, angled to see face and hands
- One selection must have been composed after 1950.
- It is encouraged (but not required) that a composition from the applicant’s country be included in the program.
- Three letters of recommendation: one from a current harp teacher and two from other harpists, musicians, or teachers.
- Two recent publicity photos (black and white or color)
- A brief, typewritten biography in English.
- Proof of birthdate: harpists should not have reached the age of 23 on 1 September 2024 (born after 1 September 2001)
- All Focus on Youth performances must be played from memory with the exception of new music scores, as approved by the committee.
- Compositions can be recorded separately but merged into one video file. Each recording must not be older than six months prior to the submission date (June 1, 2024)
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 1, 2024